2 arrested for murder of former Umatac mayor


Two people have been arrested in connection with the death of former Umatac mayor Daniel Sanchez.

Rudy Fegurgur Quinata and Joyner Scott Sked, both Umatac residents, were arrested by police and charged with murder.

Police documents show that both Quinata and Sked reside in the same address at 115 Jose A Quinata Street in Umatac.

According to PNC files, both Quinata and Sked have had previous run-ins with the law.

Quinata was first confined after he was accused of murder and he was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment at the Department of Corrections on manslaughter charges. DOC records also show that Quinata was charged with escaping. Following his release, Quinata was arrested five other times on various charges including reckless conduct, possession of a firearm without an ID, and assault. Quinata was arrested again on charges of family violence and terrorizing.

Quinata was confined again in February 2006 on charges of aggravated murder. He was later acquitted and released in January 2008. Then, in December 2012, Quinata was again arrested in connection with a perceived threat that led to the closure of the Ordot Elementary School and he was charged with terrorizing, family violence, and possession of a weapon in the commission of a felony.

Sked, on the other hand, was arrested in November last year after her 1-year-old child was found wandering the streets alone wearing only a diaper. She also had two other criminal misdemeanor cases against her. Aside from the current charge of murder, she has also been charged with aggravated assault and use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony.

GPD’S Criminal Investigation Division has assumed the case investigation.

Mayors Council of Guam executive director Angel Sablan said former mayor Daniel Sanchez was a popular and well-loved member of the community.

“I’m shocked. He was a very personable guy, with always a smile on his face,” Sablan told PNC.

He added that Sanchez was always reaching out to find out how he can help even when he was already out of office.

“It’s a great loss for Umatac and a great loss for Guam. I had some rumblings about it last night and then I called the mayor to confirm. The case is still under investigation and we don’t know the full story yet. I know the family is still in shock and hasn’t issued a public statement yet,” Sablan said.

He added: “During this Easter Day, let’s just pray for him and his family and hope they have the strength to get through this. It’s such a sad Easter.

Sablan said funeral arrangements will be announced later and the Mayors Council will have a special ceremony on the day of his burial.