Guam – The Guam Environmental Protection Agency says no action will be taken on GRRP’s conditional permit for a landfill in Guatali until the Federal Court is satisfied that a notice of intent to grant that permit was properly issued.
Acting Administrator Ivan Quinata told PNC News Friday that he could not comment because District Court Judge Francis Tydingco-Gatewood has ordered the Attorney General to review the controversial letter issued by previous Administrator Elizabeth Cruz.
That letter expressed Guam EPA’s intent to grant GRRP a draft operations permit. The Judge asked the Attorney General to find out how and why that order was issued. And as a result, Quinata said he could not comment until the AG’s review is complete.
That letter from Former Administrator Cruz was issued on December 30th of last year. When it came to light last week, it prompted the Federal Receiver, GBB which is building the rival Layon landfill, to file a special report with the court.
In that Special Report, the receiver’s David Manning suggested that a different standard was being applied to GRRP’s application. And he questioned why Guam EPA had changed its mind after previously determining that the Guatali site was not suitable for a landfill.
GRRP Spokesman David Sablan strongly denied the suggestion saying that the permitting process GRRP has gone through has taken longer than GBB’s. And Sabalan accused GBB of trying to de-rail his company’s plans to build its own landfill in Guatali.