Guam – A 23 year old woman has died after being struck by a car in Anigua Wednesday night.
The accident happened about 9:30pm on Route 1 in front of the 76 gas station in Anigua.
Guam Fire Spokesman Lt. Ed Artero says medics performed CPR on the woman at the scene, and en-route to Naval Hospital. Hospital Spokeswoman Jennifer Zingalie says the woman was pronounced dead at 11:51pm.
Acting Guam Police Lt. Arthur Paulino said the victim was a Chuukese woman named Reren Rimuo. She was identified Thursday morning by her mother.
“Highway patrol is still looking into the case,” said Lt. Paulino. “It is unknown at this time whether alcohol, with either the operator of the vehicle, or the pedestrian, was involved. “
Rimuo was apparently trying to cross the road from the 76 station to the Bell Tower building, said Lt. Paulino, when she was hit in the inner, northbound lane. She was struck by a 2004 Nissan Sentra which was heading north on Route 1.
The woman driving the Sentra stopped following the impact. Lt. Paulino says the driver was questioned by police, but she was not arrested.
Rimuo’s death is the 8th traffic fatality of the year on Guam.
2013 Traffic Related Fatalities:
1. January 1: 3:41am, Tuesday, Auto Pole crash, Rt. 9 Chalan Ramierez, Yigo. First traffic fatality on New Year’s day. 31-year-old Fred Maioro lost
control of his car along Route 9 at Chalan Ramirez St. in Yigo, and ran off the road, and slammed into a concrete pole.
2. January 16: 11:30pm. 45 year old Edward Joseph Kestler, was struck by an SUV in Tamuning Marine Corps Drive, near Alupang Towers in
Tamuning. He was pronounced dead at 12:10am at GMH. by a car late Wednesday night in Tamuning. Police say the victim was apparently walking in the road when he was struck by a black Hyundai Tucson being driven by a man heading south on Route 1. The driver of the Hyundai was not arrested.
[February 12: 10:20 pm, 51 Year Old Hitoshi Yakota struck by a grey 2007 Toyota Yaris while walking with his wife [also injured] on the side walk along San Vitores Road in Tumon. Yakota died from his injuries on Thursday February 14 at GMH. 21 year old Tamuning resident Chad De Soto charged with murder in Yakota’s death. Guam Police Spokesman A.J. Balajadia says this is NOT being classifed as a traffic related fatality.]
3. February 17: 1:42 am. 27 year old Andre Dela Cruz died after losing control of his Harley Davidson Motorcycle motorcycle and crashed on Alageta Road near the Route 16 overpass. DOA at the scene.
4. February 21: 10:48am. Troy Morrison riding a 2004 Suzuki 1000 south on Route 4 near the Agat Transfer Station when he lost control and ran off the roadway, crashing into a concrete sewer ditch. Pronounced dead at Naval Hospital. GFD Lt. Ed Artero said CPR was performed on the injured man as he was rushed to Naval Hospital. Morrison was not wearing a helmet.
5. March 9: 1 am Yseng Song at Natibu Road in Dededo. Hit-and-run auto pedestrian. 30 year old male pedestrian struck and killed. Suspect vehicle described only as a sedan that fled the scene with possible windshield damage.
6. April 3: 1 year old boy dies after vehicle backs over him in Dededo driveway. A 38 year old man was operating a 2009 Toyota Rav4 and backed over the boy. No identities and no names have been released yet.
7. April 12: 2:20am, Rt.1 East Agana, by the former Sears. Auto ran off Roadway. Passenger m/Phon/20’s
8. July 3: 9:24pm, Anigua, 23 year old woman struck by a car on Route 1 at the 76 gas station.Victim identified as Reren Rimuo.