Benavente Middle School Kitchen Closed Following Fire

272

The cafeteria kitchen at Benavente Middle School is still not operational following a fire that broke out yesterday at the school.   

Guam – Instead of preparing lunch for some 1200 students at BMS, Sodexo, the schools food vendor, prepackaged lunch delivered to the students. Principal Dexter Fullo tells PNC that the schools lunch cafeteria was unaffected by the fire. Fullo says they are hoping to reopen the kitchen sometime this week. Yesterday, at around 2:30 p.m. A fire was reported inside the school’s kitchen. Fullo says fortunately, a school staff member was near the area when it happened and was able to use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire within minutes and firefighters were called to the scene. According to GFD spokesperson Kevin Reilly, the fire was electrical in nature and the cause was a short within the ballast of the light fixture where the fire originated.