Chemical fumes send school custodial staff to the hospital


Three Simon Sanchez High School custodial staff were taken to the hospital after being exposed to chemical fumes.

Guam Fire Department units were dispatched to the school at around 6:47 pm after receiving a report of the incident.

According to GFD spokesperson Kevin Reilly, the responding units found one of the workers (male, around 40 years old) unconscious and unresponsive. The other two (female, 21 and 54 years old) were conscious and alert, but felt sick.

The two custodial staff said they were using bleach to sanitize the boys’ locker room. They were exposed to the chemical vapors due to poor ventilation.

All three were transported to GRMC, according to Reilly.