Lieutenant Governor Josh Tenorio convened the Islandwide Beautification Task Force (IBTF) on Thursday and announced that the new date for the Give Us A Moment #GUAM Island Pride Beautification Event is next Saturday, August 1, 2020.
IBTF, together with the Guam Visitors Bureau (GVB), will reach out to volunteers to reconfirm site assignments. Updates will also be provided via the GVB social media pages.
Lt. Governor Tenorio serves as the chairperson of the Task Force, which works in conjunction with the Mayors Council of Guam, Government of Guam agencies, and private individuals or organizations to beautify and promote Guam.
Functions of the IBTF include, but are not limited to, the coordination of efforts for:
- The clearing of overgrown weeds or trees;
- The planting of plants or flowers, especially native flora;
- The restoration of graffiti-inflicted structures along the island’s highways and scenic
- Implementing other beautification projects;
- Preventing littering, preventing the illegal disposal of waste at unauthorized sites, and
preventing the destruction of public facilities, including parks and beaches;
- Establishing education, training, or programs, of the same; and
- Addressing other pertinent issues.
“We are excited to convene the Island Beautification Task Force as we move towards the recovery phase in our COVID-19 pandemic response. Beyond cleanups and improving the aesthetics of parks and beaches, this group is focused on providing long term solutions to our island’s littering problem and waste management through legislation and enforcement of existing laws as well as opportunities for circular economies,” said Lt. Governor Tenorio.