Cobras Stage Comeback, Forcing Quality to 3-3 Draw


Guam – The Southern Cobras staged a heroic comeback to force Budweiser Soccer League leaders Quality Distributors FC to settle for a 3-3 draw in a Week 11 match at the Guam Football Association National Training Center in Harmon.

Quality jumped to a 3-0 advantage by halftime before the Cobras started chipping away at the lead in the second half.

The Cobras’ Gerard Aguon took advantage of a free kick opportunity just a few feet from the goal, precisely sending the ball through the Quality wall of defenders as they flinched when he took his shot. About 15 minutes later, Aguon tried for a second goal, this time on a follow-up shot from the right side after Quality keeper Brett Maluwelmeng initially blocked the ball following a Cobras corner kick play. Although a few defenders were able to keep the shot out of the goal, the ball rolled to the opposite goalpost right to an undefended Napu Topasna, who then tapped the ball into the left corner of the goal.

Quality had a chance to add another goal minutes later when Scott Spindel was fouled in the box and earned a penalty kick. Spindel missed his opportunity and the score stood at 3-2 in favor of Quality up until stoppage time. 

[Guam Shipyard’s Aaron Jackson passes the ball to a teammate facing defensive pressure from Paintco Strykers’ Jonathan Archibald in a Week 11 match of the Budweiser Soccer League at the Guam Football Association National Training Center. Shipyard defeated the Strykers 6-2]

The Cobras managed to set up the final goal when Austin Cruz won a 50/50 challenge in the air against a Quality defender, sending the ball to teammate Jan Flores. Flores gave the ball to Adam Rivera, who ran straight toward the goal and finished his shot to force the draw at the final whistle.

Spindel and teammates Kaito Inoue and Aaron Scott scored Quality’s goals.

Despite the loss, Quality still remains in first place in the league standings. In other Division I matches, Table 35 Espada FC stays in second place with a 6-2 win over Doosan FC. Table 35’s Dylan Naputi finished with a hat trick and teammates Mark Chargualaf, Nick Roberto and Jimmy Okuhama knocked in one goal each. Cody Cruz and Aaron Angoco scored for Doosan.

Guam Shipyard defeated the Paintco Strykers 6-2 behind Ashton Surber and Ajay Pothen’s two goals each. Aaron Jackson and Anthony Babauta also scored for Shipyard. The Strykers’ goals came from Jan-Willem Staman and Christian Dickson.

In Division II play, the Rovers FC stay in first place with a 3-1 win over the Ambassadors. Nhiem Le, Sisank Kotwal and Take Inoue each scored for the Rovers. Shane Cepeda scored the Ambassadors’ lone goal.

The IP&E Sidekicks move into second place with a 2-1 win over the Doosan Crushers. Carlo Unpingco and Jacob Garces scored for the Sidekicks and Shawn Spindel scored for the Crushers.

A Patrick Sherman goal in the final seconds of play prevented the Pago Bay Disasters from earning a win against the FC Shotguns, as the teams settled for a 1-1 draw. Jared Leon Guerrero scored for the Disasters.

Big Blue blanked Xtra Krispy FC 9-0. Ryan Crisostomo finished with a hat trick and teammates Gideon Tyquiengco, Derrick Cruz, Celvin Lujan, Napu Mesa and Lance Chargualaf each scored once. Big Blue’s other goal came on an Xtra Krispy own goal.

In the Masters Division, IT&E/IP&E shut out Big Blue 4-0 behind a hat trick from Robert Scalise and a goal from Suresh Jay.

Family FC stays on top of the standings with a 3-0 win over the Rovers FC. Sang Won Park and Byung Choi scored for Family. The team’s other goal came on a Rovers own goal.