Guam – The candidates for this year’s Liberation Day Queen and Court were announced Monday morning during a press conference in Adelup.
Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero herself welcomed the candidates and said this is just one of the activities set for this year’s Liberation Day whose theme is “Celebrating a legacy of peace and friendship.”
“This is just the beginning of many events that we are doing to celebrate the 75th years of liberation since the Japanese occupation and of course our theme is Peace and Friendship. We have been regularly meeting under the leadership of Lt. Gov. Josh Tenorio who has been spearheading the planning and organizing. There’s a lot of exciting events and celebrations of our survivors and our heroes and tracing the evolution from 1944 to the present,” Leon Guerrero said.
The governor said this year’s celebration is also special because Guam-born singer, songwriter and model Pia Mia will headline the Liberation Day parade and have her own float.
Dededo Mayor Melissa Savares also spoke during the press conference, saying that this year’s Liberation Queen candidates come from six villages and two GovGuam departments.
The 2019 Liberation Queen candidates are:
* Cianna Jenae P. Salonga, sponsored by the village of Asan Maina;
* Kaitlyn Michelle J. Gogue, sponsored by Chalan Pago Ordot;
* Aundra Therese Santos, sponsored by Mongmong-Toto-Maite;
* Regina Gloria M. Duenas, sponsored by Santa Rita;
* Letayah G. Cave, sponsored by Tamuning;
* Siobhan Mendiola sponsored by Piti;
* Maya Jae Reyes sponsored by the Department of Public Works; and
* Victoria Rayann D. Botelho, sponsored by the Port Authority of Guam.