The mayor of the island’s most populated village reacts to the attempted kidnapping incident that happened on April 20 in Dededo.
A 65-year-old man was arrested by the Guam Police Department after being accused of attempting to kidnap a 15-year-old girl on April 20 from a bus stop in Dededo.
After conducting interviews, GPD were able to locate the vehicle and operator, later identified as Melencio Santos, a Filipino Dededo resident, who was accused of fleeing the scene following a school bus driver with the Department of Public Works chasing him away, instructing him to leave the minor victim alone.
Melissa Savares, the mayor of Dededo, was concerned when she heard about the incident.
“I was disturbed because we try to make our bus stops safe for our children and I don’t know where exactly this happened but that’s disturbing for us,” said Savares.
She urged island residents to be vigilant at all times.
“I don’t know what the intentions of the guy were,” Savares said. “I am glad the girl was strong enough to get away but we just got to be more alert of our surroundings and try to keep our children safe as much as we can. Families need to have a plan and talk to their children to be more alert when they are getting on and off the bus.”
As the Pacific News Center previously reported, Santos admitted to the allegations. He was arrested and charged for attempted kidnapping, terrorizing, unlawful restraint, and harassment, according to a press release issued by GPD.
Santos was booked and confined at the Department of Corrections.
The case was closed and forwarded to the Office of Attorney General of Guam.
According to the OAG, Santos could face up to 20 years to life in prison, if convicted of allegations.