Two of the seven employees of the Port Authority of Guam, who were fired from their jobs in 2012, have had their cases returned to the Civil Service Commission.
The port authority’s attorney Michael Phillips said Superior Court Judge Vern Perez on Thursday reversed CSC’s earlier rulings on the complaints filed by former port employees Francine Rocio and Leonora Leon Guerrero.
“These two cases follow the precedent set by the Supreme Court in the Javellosa case wherein the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Port while reversing the Civil Service Commission’s earlier ruling in favor of the employee,” Phillips said.
The seven port employees were given their walking papers for allegedly providing illegal benefits and falsifying documents. The case stemmed from the workers’ compensation benefits provided to Bernadette Sterne Meno, former Port marketing manager, who claimed the benefits after a bathroom accident.
Port Authority General Manager Rory Respicio said the two cases were remanded to CSC for a “determination of the proper standard of review. As all these employee appeal cases go through the CSC, the Port Authority’s internal review of terminations and adverse has been completed.”
After taking the helm of PAG, Respicio created a task force to look into the “Port Seven” termination cases, which drew a flak from his predecessor Joanne Brown.
“Assistant General Manager Connie Shinohara is leading that task force and when the board is ready, she will present the task force’s findings for the board’s decision.”
Phillips said Rocio’s and Leon Guerrero’s cases were the fourth reversed by the Superior Court in favor of the port.
The Superior Court had earlier also reversed the cases of former employees Eddie Castro and Josette Javellosa.