Daughter was wounded while protecting mother during deadly stabbing attack

Virginia Rose Peredo Laguana (Go Fund Me photo)

The 19-year-old female who was rushed to GRMC last Sunday was one of the children of 39-year-old Virginia Rose Peredo Laguana, the victim of the stabbing incident at the Mai’Ana hotel in Tamuning.

According to the magistrate’s report on the case, Virginia’s daughter “JC” sustained serious injuries when she and her sisters tried to protect their mom from John Bass III who was allegedly stabbing her repeatedly.

When police arrived, they found Virginia laying on her back with her head cradled in the arms of her daughter, JV. Virginia was drenched in blood and covered in towels, also saturated in blood.

According to the magistrate’s report, an officer asked who attacked Virginia and JV replied “John Bass.” The officers confirmed that Bass was no longer in the house and began CPR in an attempt to sustain Virginia’s life until paramedics arrived.

When the officers inspected Virginia, they found multiple, deep stab wounds all over her body. An officer helped JV up from the floor and discovered that she had two serious wounds — a laceration to the inner part of her left thigh and a wound by her knee that continuously bled.

While pressure was being applied to JV’s injuries, officers turned their attention to Virginia. She did not have a pulse. One officer applied pressure to the stab wounds and another performed chest compressions.

According to the magistrate’s report, an officer reported that there were too many stab wounds and that whenever a chest compression was performed, blood would pour out of the wounds that did not receive direct pressure.

Virginia was transported to Guam Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

After Bass was apprehended and arrested by police, he admitted to being involved in a relationship with Virginia and admitted to being in the residence with Virginia on June 6, 2021.

According to the magistrate’s report, Bass refused to answer any questions about what
happened to either Virginia or to JV and admitted to repeatedly running from officers that were trying to apprehend him.

When asked why he ran, Bass told the interviewing officer that he has a habit of running from the police.

Meanwhile, a Go Fund Me page has been created to raise funds for Virginia’s funeral. Those who would like to help can go to https://gofund.me/3f9af9c9.