Six of the 10 defendants in a large-scale cocaine bust last year appeared in court on Thursday during a pre-trial conference, where some of them have been offered plea deals.
Danby Rojas, John Tainatongo, Johnathan Manglona, Monica Quinata, Nicolas Glen Frederick, and Randall Fulcher— all alleged members of a drug ring on Guam — appeared before Judge Michael Bordallo.
One of the issues Bordallo discussed in court was the logistics of trying a case that involves witnesses from off-island who might have to be flown into Guam to testify.
Terry Timblin, attorney for Manglona, said some of the defendants, including his client, “have been offered plea agreements.”
“But we’re trying to make a clinic assessment to make sure he qualifies for the adult drug court,” Timblin said.
“All the other defendants, right now, nobody’s served a speedy trial,” Timblin said. “So, either they’ll end up with plea agreements or they’ll go to trial.”
Two of the defendants — Tainatongo and Quinata — have asserted their rights to a speedy trial and are scheduled to go to trial on April 26, starting at 9 a.m.
The case stemmed from the May 17, 2018 drug raid in a home in Inarajan, where police seized more than 35lbs of cocaine with an estimated street value of $825,000. The case is considered the largest cocaine bust in the history of GPD.
Robert Afaisen, dubbed the kingpin, and his cousin Jimmy Afaisen are facing a separate trial in federal court.
In local court, the defendants were charged with possession and distribution of a schedule II controlled substance.