DOAG issues special fishing permits with conditions

(Photo courtesy National Park Service)

The Director of The Department of Agriculture, in accordance with Section 63123 of Title 5, Guam Code Annotated (GCA) is issuing a special permit to allow the harvest of juvenile goatfish (Ti’ao), juvenile jacks (I’e), and scad  mackerel (Atulai), of juvenile rabbit fish (Mañahak), within the Åchang Bay Preserve and Piti Bomb Holes Marine Preserve, for food security during this public health emergency declaration as well as for cultural educational purposes to ensure this traditional fishing practice continues for future generations.

The harvest of these species is dependent on conditions specified below:

The purpose of focusing on the use of talåya and hook-and-line is to protect our community by limiting fishing to a single-person activity. Please keep a distance of six feet or more between yourself and anyone else.

2. ​Only the use of talåya nets (cast nets) or hook-and-line for the harvest of, Ti’ao, and I’e is allowed from shore for a period from April 01, 2021  April 30, 2021.

3. I’e and tiao harvested shall not be longer than 4-inches long.

4. While fishing for Ti’ao, and I’e under this permit, entry into the water is only allowed to retrieve the talåya after casting the net.

5 . The harvest of any marine species other than Ti’ao, I’e, and Atulai, in the preserve is PROHIBITED. Immediate removal and release of non-target species from the net is required.

6. The use of talåya (cast nets) or hook-and-line for Ti’ao, and I’e is limited to the hours of 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Hook and line from boat for Atulai has no time limit.

7. Net dimension of talåya nets (cast nets): small enough to prevent gilling of fish. The use of gill nets and other nets are PROHIBITED.

8. The Piti and Merizo Mayors’ Offices will educate the public about these traditional fishing practices.

9. The Department of Agriculture’s Conservation Officers will fully enforce all laws and regulations in the preserve.

10. Fishermen may view the permit at the Piti and Merizo Mayors’ Offices or at the Department of Agriculture, Division of Aquatics and Wildlife Resources (DAWR).

(Department of Agriculture Release)


Leave a Reply