Guam – Public Health Director James Gillan has announced that in conjunction with the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA), August has been declared Breastfeeding Month on Guam.
This year’s theme is “Breastfeeding Support Close to Mothers”.
The objectives for this year are:
• To recognize the importance of Peer Support in helping mothers to establish and sustain breastfeeding.
• To increase awareness of the effective benefit of peer counseling.
• To encourage breastfeeding supporters by training how to support mothers and babies.
• To identify local community support contacts for breastfeeding mothers to go for help and support after giving birth.
• To call on governments and maternity facilities to actively implement the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding outlined by UNICEF and WHO
Together with local private sector, military counterparts and other government agencies, the public is invited to following:
1. Proclamation Signing on August 2, 2013, Friday, at 10:30 am in the Governor’s Conference Room, Adelup.
2. Breastfeeding Wave on August 2, 2013 at 4:30pm at the ITC Intersection.
3. Breastfeeding Celebration on August 12, 2013 from 9 am to 12 noon at the Northern Regional Health Center
(Dededo Public Health) for a parade, mini symposium, art gallery, food demonstration.
For more information, please contact, Ms. Adelina C. Portela, Guam WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator @ 475-0302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org