Guam -The Guam Environmental Protection Agency has released the following list of events in the week ahead leading up to earth day 2012 on April 22.
Free events this weekend
– Plan on being out Saturday?: The Guam Environmental Education Committee would like to advise recreational users (hikers, off-roaders, ect) of the island-wide Pig Hunting Derby on Saturday, April 14 and Sunday, April 15. Participants of the derby will be required to wear brightly-colored safety gear for visibility. Hunting will be taking place on Government of Guam properties that are regularly hunted and Private Property with written owner permission. Check Stations will be open at 4:30 a.m. with hunting starting at a half hour before sunrise and ending at 5:30 p.m. both days. For more information email email@example.com.
– Safety briefing and Pig Hunting Derby: Guam’s first Pig Hunting Derby will begin with a mandatory safety briefing for all participants at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 12, at the Dededo, Santa Rita, Agana Heights or Talofofo Mayors’ offices. The derby competition runs from sunrise to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 14 and Sunday, April 15. For more information visit epa.guam.gov.
– Plant trees to save money!: Join the University of Guam, Guam Department of Agriculture, NRCS and National Park Service to learn about where to plant native trees to save you money for Earth Day. The Right Tree for the Right Place workshop is from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 14, 2012, at the University of Guam Business Building Room 128. The workshop includes an interactive field trip to the Department of Agriculture and hands on experience identifying native plants. The event is free and open to the public. Registration is suggested but not required. Call 735-2090 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Free Kids Fishing Derby: The Guam Environmental Education Committee and the Guam Department of Agriculture are hosting a free Kids Freshwater Fishing Derby for Earth Day 2012. The derby begins at 10 a.m. on Sunday, April 15, at the Masso Reservoir Nature Area near Veteran’s Cemetery in Piti. The derby is open to students 16 years old and younger. Families are encouraged to attend this free event. Hikes of the nature area will also be offered throughout the day. Email email@example.com or call 988-7582 for more information.
Volunteer events this weekend
– Beach cleanup with the Coast Guard: Join the U.S. Coast Guard from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Sunday, April 15, at Tanguisson Beach in Dededo for an Earth Day 2012 beach cleanup. Volunteers are encouraged to bring a water bottle, sun screen, gloves if possible and family members. Bags will be provided. For more information about this event email Sarah.E.Jacobs@uscg.mil.
– Gardening with Island Girl Power: Volunteers are needed to help Island Girl Power start a community garden at their clubhouse in Dededo for Earth Day 2012. Volunteers are asked to come from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 14 and Saturday, April 28. Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own gardening tools, shovels, gloves, water bottles and other materials for gardening. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Island Sustainability Conference, April 18 and 19, Hyatt
– The Nature Expo at Youthfest 2012, April 21, Skinner Plaza
– Movie in the Park, April 21, Asan Memorial Park
– Running is my Nature 5K, April 22, Upi Elementary
– Pork in the Park, April 22, Adelup
– Savor Guam Food Fest, April 22, The Beach Bar and Grill
– Coastal Cleanup with GHRA: GHRA will be hosting a cleanup from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 21, starting at the Home Depot parking lot, JFK High School and Two Lover’s Point. Volunteers are asked to bring a water bottle, sturdy shoes, sun screen and gloves if possible. Bags will be provided. For more information email email@example.com or call 649-1447.
– Coastal Cleanup with EOD MU5: Volunteers are needed to help with a cleanup event along NCS Road in Dededo from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 21. The cleanup area will be marked with banners and bags and gloves will be provided. Families are encouraged to attend this cleanup organized by EODMU5. Volunteers are asked to bring water bottles, sun screen, sturdy shoes and gloves if possible. Email James.Taft@fe.navy.mil for more information or to register.
– Cache in Trash out: The Guam Geocachers will host a Cache In Trash Out event from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, April 21, at Asan Memorial Park. The event will include games, food, a cleanup of the beach area and information about geocaching in Guam. Volunteers are asked to bring a water bottle, a GPS unit if possible and sun screen. Bags and gloves will be provided. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit epa.guam.gov for more information.
Week after next
– Guam Environmental Youth Conference, Tuesday, April 24, Outrigger Resort
– Get to know nature hike, Saturday, April 28, Asan Bay Overlook
– National Prescription Take Back Day, 10.- 2, at Agana Shopping Center, Micro Mall, Naval Station Exchange and AAFB Commissary & Exchange.
– Shredding paper for nature, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., TBD