Father Adrian fails to return to Guam by June 15 deadline


Guam – Father Adrian Cristobal has appearantly gone into hiding admist accusations that he sexually assaulted two individuals when they were minors.

The allegations of sexual abuse were filed against him in April and May of this year.

When the first allegation surfaced Father Adrian was listed as a priest on mission at the Archdiocese of Phoenix.

Following the the first sexual abuse complaint Archbishop Michael Byrnes issued the directive for him to return to island.

While Archbishop Brynes indicated that he had communicated with Father Adrian in April, the accused priest did not confirm that he would comply with the directive.

It was later discovered that Father Adrian had left the Archdiocese of Pheonix and that they were under the impression that he was heading back to Guam. But appearantly this was not the case and Father Adrain’s whereabouts are not known.

In light of this Archbishop Byrnes repeatedly gave orders to the accused priest to return even providing a deadline of June 15th to comply.

“Archbishop Michael Byrnes has imposed sanctions on Father Adrian Cristobal
effective today, Saturday, June 16. This action is taken as a result of the diocesan priest’s failure to obey repeated directives to return to Guam, following allegations of sexual abuse filed against him last April and May. He did not return to the island and report to the archbishop by the required date of June 15, 2018,” stated a release from the Archdiocese.

According to the Archiocese communications Director Tony Diaz, the sanctions imposed on Father Adrian further restricts his abilities to act as a priest in public, which includes the wearing of clerical garb. The sanctions will remain in place until such time that he obeys.

You may recall, after the first allegation Archbishop Byrnes had limited the faculties of Father Adrian as a priest as part of precautionary measures related to the first allegation. Then, the restriction stated that he could not celebrate Mass publicly or hear confession while the case is being reviewed.

“Since this matter is of a personnel nature and also involves lawsuits, the archdiocese cannot comment much further,” stated Diaz.

SOURCEJolene Toves
Previous articleGCC: momentum marks 7-year accreditation
Next articleInvestigation into 15-year-old girl’s death ongoing
Jolene joined the PNC team in 2017, as a producer, co-anchor and investigative reporter covering law enforcement, courts and crimes. Notable coverage includes the Ehlert case, the Mark Torre Jr. trial, the Allan Agababa trial, exclusive pieces on the Life of a Drug Dealer/Addict, and Life behind bars...the story of Honofre Chargualaf and Kevin Cruz. In 2019, she was promoted to Assistant News Director and Lead Anchor. From 2015 to 2017 she served as Public Relations and Promotions Manager, for the Hotel Nikko Guam handling local radio and advertorial promotions, as well as produced and directed tv commercials for the hotel. Prior to this she worked with KUAM for three years as a reporter and segment host. She began her journalism career in 2012, working with Glimpses of Guam contributing to the Guam Business Magazine, R&R magazine, MDM magazine and the Marianas Business Journal.