Guam’s Filipino Community Holding Fund Drive TODAY for Typhoon Sendong Relief

152

Guam – The Filipino Community of Guam (FCG) will hold a disaster assistance drive beginning Monday, December 19, for the victims of typhoon Sendong (international name – Washi) that hit the southern portion of the Philippines over the weekend.

It has been estimated that the death toll from the disaster could reach 600 or higher as authorities continue to recover bodies in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities, two of the hardest hit in Mindanao.

The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) said the storm has so far killed 521 people. This would most likely go up, with 458 people still missing and many villages remaining isolated and unreached by disaster-response personnel, said PRC secretary general Gwendolyn Pang.

In order to assist our brothers and sisters in the Philippines in this most difficult time, the FCG will be accepting monetary donations and donations of non-perishable goods (canned goods), clothing, and other supplies. All items collected will be transferred to the Philippine Consulate office for distribution in the Philippines.

Drop of points for donations are at the National Office Supply (Harmon and Tamuning branches), Office of Vice Speaker B.J. Cruz, and  Seaside Market.  

For more information please contact Mark A. Duarte, FCG Public Relations Officer at 929-6438 or through e-mail at mduarte1972@gmail.com or Ms. Leah Beth Naholowaa, FCG President, at 777-0479 or lbnaholowaa@yahoo.com and Emelio Uy, FCG Chairman Board of Trustees at 687-0725.