The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office issued an urban and small stream flood advisory for Guam, in effect until 4:45 p.m. A Flood Advisory means river or stream flows are elevated, or ponding of water in urban or other areas is occurring or is imminent.
Heavy showers and thunderstorms persisting across portions of central and northern Guam will cause urban and small stream flooding. An inch and a half or more of rain has already fallen. Additional rainfall of an inch or more is expected over the area, resulting in minor flooding.
Some locations that will experience flooding include areas of Dededo, Tamuning, Yigo, Mangilao, Barrigada, and Andersen AFB.
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautionary actions:
· Stay away from streams, rivers, drainage ditches, and culverts, even if they are currently dry;
· Do not cross fast flowing water in your vehicle, or on foot. Turn around, don’t drown;
· If driving, be alert for low visibilities and slippery roads in heavy rain;
· Slow down where water is ponding on the road;
· Avoid walking or driving through floodwaters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away;
· Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning;
· Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) advise the community to practice extreme caution while traveling in rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit, and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/