The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office has issued an urban and small stream flood advisory for southwestern Guam until 3:15 p.m. A flood advisory means river or stream flows are elevated, or ponding of water in urban or other areas is occurring or imminent.
Heavy rain due to thunderstorms will cause urban and small stream flooding. Up to one inch of rain has already fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of up to one inch are possible. Some locations that will experience flooding include Tamuning, Mangilao, Chalan Pago-Ordot, Barrigada, Yona, Agana Heights, Talofofo, Mongmong-Toto-Maite, Sinajana, Asan, Merizo, Piti, Santa Rita, and Umatac.
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautionary actions:
· Avoid driving on flooded roads;
· If driving, be alert for low visibilities and slippery roads in heavy rain;
· Slow down where water is ponding on the road;
· Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away;
· Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning;
· Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
A thunderstorm advisory is in effect for the Guam International Airport until 4 p.m. this afternoon. Thunderstorms are possible or occurring within 20 nautical miles of the airport. Be alert and take precautions as required. If lightning is seen or thunder is heard, seek shelter indoors.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to practice caution while traveling in rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/