GBB To Fund Improvements to Inarajan Treatment Plant


Guam – Federal Solid Waste Receive GBB says it will fund significant improvements to the Inarajan Wastewater Treatment Plant.

In a release, GBB says that,  working with the Guam Waterworks Authority (GWA), GBB will fund improvements to help ensure that the Inarajan Wastewater Treatment Plant can handle the increased demand on the plant that will take place when the Layon Landfill is operational and additional homes are added to the system as a result of the new sewer line being constructed. This is part of the work currently underway to improve the streets and utilities in the area.

As a part of this work, GBB’s consultant, EA Science and Technology, Inc., in cooperation with the Guam Environmental Protection Agency (Guam EPA) and GWA, will conduct a dye trace study at the Inarajan Wastewater Treatment Plant. The purpose of the study is to better understand how the water discharged from the Plant flows to marine waters.

This information will assist the consultant in developing a water quality monitoring plan for the Inarajan Wastewater Treatment Plant. The dye trace study will involve mixing approximately 20,000 gallons of potable (drinking) water with a food-grade, non-toxic and biodegradable dye and discharging the dye to a percolation bed located at the treatment plant. An additional 20,000 gallons of potable water will be used to flush the dye through the subsurface.

The near shore marine waters in the vicinity of the wastewater treatment plant will be observed for the emergence of the dye for a one week period or until the dye begins to emerge. Once the dye is discharged, the public may notice a fluorescent yellow/green color in near shore marine waters between Inarajan Bay, Guaifan Point, and Pauliluc Bay. The dye is non-toxic and considered safe for human health, aquatic organisms, and the environment.

“The dye trace study will be conducted for approximately one week,” said Receiver Representative David L. Manning. “We expect low tide conditions to be best for the test from September 7 through September 14, 2010.

Should conditions change causing the test to be delayed, the next opportunity for the test will be in October and it will be concluded by October 31, 2010.

The public is advised that the dye may continue to be visible past the study period.”