GCC Firefighter Students Complete First Phase of Grant-funded Training

283

Guam – The 28 students who made the cut for Guam Community College’s federally funded Fire Academy class finished up their first eight-week phase of training on September 30 with rescue, hose line, ladder, and ventilation exercises.

 

[Caption: GCC Fire Academy student Tim Chargualaf swings his axe to  move a solid metal tank during an academy training exercise on Friday, Sept. 30. The 28 students in the academy finished the first phase of their training last week. The training is being funded through a Department of Health block grant]

Classes started August 2, and training will continue through November. The class is being funded through a $70,000 Department of Public Health and Social Services Community Services Block Grant administered under ARRA, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The block grant pays for up to 80 percent of the Academy coursework at GCC, and then GCC’s Financial Aid Office will work with the applicants to secure Pell Grants for the remaining 20 percent of the coursework, according to Victor Rodgers, GCC Asst. Director of Continuing Education & Workforce Development.