Fernandez says DOE is currently working with the Marianas FUSION Center that includes representatives from most of the GovGuam law enforcement entities. Specifically, they are working on a Risk Assessment Matrix that schools can use to determine whether a bomb threat is low, medium, or high based on a series of analytics. Based on this assessment, select actions will be executed by schools.
Guam – Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez may be off island this week, but that doesn’t stop him from beefing up security measures at the school. In response to the trend of recent bomb threats at the schools, all school administrators are to implement heightened security measures immediately.
– For schools already having issues with bomb threats, implement clear and mesh bag requirement until further notice (Note: optional for schools who are not having this problem).
– For schools already having issues, restrict or eliminate school activities until further notice.
– Conduct sweeps of the campus before school begins and afterwards and add inspections of suspicious devices.
– Review school level procedures and control restroom access and wherever possible, minimize students unsupervised on campus.
– If evacuations are required and canine units are dispatched to clear, inform school community that lockers, confiscated bags, and vehicles are all subject to search.
According to GPD Spokesman Acting Spokesman Officer Paul Tapao says they are continuing its efforts with leads and tips in cracking down on previous threats made to various schools. He says GPD is taking a zero tolerance stance in dealing with these bomb threats to our public schools. If caught, responsible individuals will face confinement at the Department of Youth Affairs if a minor, or confinement at the Department of Correction if the responsible is identified as an adult. The community is encouraged to call the Guam Crime Stoppers if you have any information pertaining to any of the bomb threats. A cash reward of up to $1,000.00 could be paid if the information provided leads to the arrest and indictment for the individuals responsible.