Hagatna, Guam – Guam Department of Education (“GDOE”) Superintendent Jon Fernandez will convene the inaugural meeting of the Foundation for Public Education (“Foundation”) Board of Directors (“Board”) TONIGHT, May 8, at 6pm at Cars Plus in Maite, followed by a 6:30 p.m. reception to introduce the Board to the community.
The Foundation, authorized by public law in 2009, is a public, not-for-profit corporation that is separate and apart from the government of Guam and whose purpose is to accept private gifts, donations, endowments, services in-kind, and grants in support of Guam’s public school system.
Members of the Foundation’s Board of Directors will assist in bringing innovative ideas and projects to fruition for the betterment of GDOE public school students. By law, Superintendent Fernandez will serve as the initial Board Chairperson and has been charged with appointing the nine founding Board members.
“It feels good to be in a position to make the Foundation for Public Education a reality for our public school students,” said Fernandez. “I want to build strong partnerships between the private sector and our schools, and I believe the Foundation is a critical part of ensuring this happens.”
The individuals who have been appointed by Fernandez to be a part of the founding Board of Directors include the following (in alphabetical order):
1. Carlos Camacho, Executive Director, Micronesia Self-help Housing Corp.
2. Joyce Crisostomo, Executive Director, Cars Plus
3. Noel Enriquez, Client Services Manager, Brown Caldwell
4. Maria Eugenia Leon Guerrero, Vice President & Strategic Planning Officer, Bank of Guam
5. James Martinez, President, Guam Contractors Association
6. Lou Sanchez, Sales and Marketing Manager, First Hawaiian Bank
7. Samuel Shinohara, Managing Director, Business Development, United Airlines
8. Ronald Su, General Manager, Royal Orchid
9. Leslie Travis, Attorney, Civille and Tang
“I am excited and honored that these nine individuals have agreed to serve on the Board of this new Foundation,” said Fernandez.
“Together, they bring tremendous energy, skill, experience, and commitment to Guam’s public school students, and I look forward to working with them over the coming months to make this organization a success.”
Immediately following the Board meeting will be a formal introduction of the Board of Directors and a casual meet and greet with GDOE stakeholders and members of the community.