Gov. Calvo Sends Off 1990th CCT

583

Guam – Four Soldiers from the 1990th Contingency Contracting Team were bid a warm farewell by Gov. Eddie Baza Calvo and Lt. Gov. Ray Tenorio during a brief ceremony Friday in front of family and friends at the Governors’ office in Adelup.

The team is slated to depart Guam within a week for mobilization training in Hawaii before they deploy to Afghanistan and Southwest Asia.

Gov. Calvo thanked each member of the team for their service. “You are serving our island and our nation. And you’re giving your all…” he said.

The governor also noted that although it was a small send-off compared to the 1-294th Infantry Regiment’s send-off ceremony earlier this year, the more intimate setting with family members and a few friends “allows us the opportunity to meet you personally.”

In closing, the Governor Calvo told the team members, “I can’t wait to see you back here on Guam…”    

The 1990th CCT will play a critical role as U.S. forces start planning and executing the draw down from Afghanistan, as they are tasked with handling all contracting actions in the Afghanistan area of operations, according to Maj. Gen. Benny M. Paulino, The Adjutant General for the GUNG.

“The 1990th CCT is a highly specialized unit which is expected to be assigned anywhere in the region, conducting critical missions, depending on the combat theater commander’s requirements, as U.S. forces start drawing down.”

This deployment, along with the battalion earlier this year, as well as an upcoming deployment of a team from the 254th Security Forces Squadron within the next few months, shows how the Guam Guard remains in a high operational tempo.

“The relevance and readiness of the Guam National Guard is unquestionable as evidence by the roles our Soldiers and Airmen have taken on to support our nation’s call. And we will remain ready for any international, national or on-island contingencies,” said Maj. Gen. Paulino.