Governor Lou Leon Guerrero remains opposed to the cockfighting ban but she is advising island residents to obey the new federal law that takes effect Friday banning the practice on Guam and in all U.S. territories.
“Of course I would say follow the law. It’s a federal law that governs our territory. It may not be a law that we like and it’s not a law that we had an input and feedback on,” the governor said.
The ban will not be enforced by local authorities.
Guam Attorney General Leevin Camacho last week issued a statement saying that any reports made to his office of cockfighting once it becomes illegal would be referred to the federal authorities.
He told NewsTalk K-57’s Patti Arroyo today that the cockfighting ban is a federal law, not a local one.
“So our office, we don’t have responsibility,” said Camacho.
“We cannot enforce federal law. So, that’s the reason we have taken the position that we don’t have the ability to go and prosecute in Superior Court. Any activity or actions would have to be handled in the federal court,” Camacho said.
U.S. Attorney Shawn Anderson issued a statement Friday saying his office is prepared to pursue violations of the cockfighting ban when it takes effect on Friday “within the available resources of the department of justice.”
However, Anderson did not say which federal investigative agency would be responsible for enforcing the ban.
Honolulu FBI spokesman agent Jason White told PNC that enforcement lies with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, not the FBI.
Calls to the Guam USDA office were not answered.