Guam -The Guam Police Department today [Thursday] acknowledged that they have been conducting an investigation into allegations that Guam Fire personnel stole valuables from the dead bodies of the victims in the KAL crash nearly 14 years ago.
As PNC News reported yesterday, current Acting Fire Chief John C. Salas told us that he was questioned by police last year about the allegations. The acting chief said he told them that he was aware of reports of thefts by GFD personnel shortly after the accident in 1997.
Salas also said he saw some personal items from crash victims on the desk of then Chief Gil Reyes.
Today, GPD Public Information Officer A.J. Balajadia released a statement which reads:
“The Guam Police Department is aware of the allegations mentioned in the PNC News story. The Guam Police Department acknowledges an investigation is being conducted. We ask that if anyone has information to please come forward or leave an anonymous tip with the Guam Crime Stoppers at 477-HELP or www.guamcrimestoppers.com.