Guam – The Government of Guam and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will sign into operation Guam’s catastrophic plans that will serve as a blueprint for responding to and recovering from a category four typhoon.
Governor Felix P. Camacho and FEMA Region IX Administrator Nancy Ward will officially sign the documents at the Guam Homeland Security and the Office of Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) Emergency Operations Center at 9:00 a.m. on September 24, 2010.
“These documents shape the rules of engagement that will guide Federal and Territorial agencies in a unified response to a host of challenges,” said FEMA Region IX Administrator Nancy Ward. “The completion of these documents is a testament to the strong partnerships and cooperative efforts of several local, federal and private sector entities.”
“Over the last year, Guam Homeland Security and the Office of Civil Defense together with FEMA Region IX and various Government of Guam, private sector, military and federal partners have worked together in an effort to better Guam’s response to various destructive events such as typhoons, floods, earthquakes, and other natural and man-made disasters,” said Governor Camacho. “The catastrophic planning process has helped engage all stakeholders, both locally and nationally, in a way that will only improve upon how we respond to and recover from future events.”
These plans have been in development since November 2009. Once signed, Guam will join Hawaii and will be the second jurisdiction in the nation to have completed this intensive catastrophic planning process.