Guam loses bid to appeal Davis case; US Supreme Court won’t hear GovGuam arguments

649
Dave Davis
Notice issued by the U.S. Supreme Court denying the Government of Guam’s bid to appeal the Davis case

The government of Guam has lost its bid to convince the U.S. Supreme Court to hear its appeal of the 9th Circuit Court’s decision in the controversial Dave Davis case.

“The US Supreme Court has spoken – it’s over!” said Davis in an email to PNC News. “The zombie case is finally, irrevocably, dead!”

On Monday the Supreme Court declined to hear arguments in the case that began in 2011 when then Guam resident Arnold “Dave” Davis tried to register for the decolonization registry so he could vote on a future status plebiscite regarding Guam’s relationship to the united states.

His attempt to register was denied because he is not a native inhabitant of Guam.

He filed a civil rights lawsuit and last July the 9th Circuit ruled in his favor and struck down the Guam plebiscite law concluding that it was race-based and in violation of the 15th Amendment.

Loading the player...

In October last year, Governor Lou Leon Guerrero decided to appeal that decision to the U.S. Supreme Court .

Monday the Supreme Court declined to hear that appeal.

“It took nine years, but Arnold Davis at last has final victory and justice,” said Attorney J. Christian Adams who represented Adams during much of the litigation.

“It is a shame that so much time and so many tax dollars were devoted to a divisive racially discriminatory voting qualification,” he said in a statement issued to the media.

“The Legislature could have years ago opened up the plebiscite to all citizens living on Guam. Those status questions could have been resolved by now, but instead money and time were wasted.  Now is the time for everyone to come together and settle these issues in a realistic, Constitutional way that respects the dignity of every citizen on Guam.”