A third Guam resident died Wednesday from COVID-19 — an 81-year old man who passed away just before noon at Guam Memorial Hospital.
Governor Lou Leon Guerrero made the announcement this afternoon at her daily internet news conference.
Like the other two Guam elderly victims of the coronavirus, the man suffered from other pre-existing medical conditions, including chronic obstructive lung disease, diabetes, and hypertension.
The Governor extended her condolences to the man’s family and friends and called for another moment of silence, after which she again highlighted her social isolation executive orders which expire on April 13 saying she will not hesitate to extend those orders if needed.
“This administration is aware that this has cost an upheaval to our daily lives and our economy. It may have seemed out of proportion to the numbers we saw late last week. However, as we were sorrowfully reminded with these recent passings and 9 new confirmed cases, we are not out of the woods. Far from it. We will continue to see the number of cases increase and unfortunately, we must be prepared for more deaths,” the governor said.
And while the governor said that we all must remain vigilant and keep our social distance, however, in the current crisis, she also said urged kindness and understanding which is needed now more than ever.
During the news conference, GMH Administrator Lillian Perez-Posadas also said 5 GMH employees have tested positive for COVID-19. Four are in isolation at their homes and one remains in isolation at the hospital.
On the bright side, Perez-Posadas said that one more person has recovered raising to 8 the number of people previously diagnosed with COVID-19 who are now free of the disease.