Guam – In a news letter to supporters, the Gutierrez-Aguon team vow to focus on improving the island’s education system.
Among the highlights of their Education Plank are:
* Qualified, effective educators and adequate facilities are essential to helping our children excel in school. And we are committed to new, innovative strategies and programs that will keep kids in school, motivate them to complete their education and equip them for successful careers.
* Aggressively pursue financial resources at the local and national levels of government to support the Department of Education. This includes aggressive pursuit of Compact Impact funds to assist in meeting the growing demands on our education system.
* Recognize the diverse needs of our student population and work with DOE to bring successful best practice transformation models to Guam Schools such as the Johns Hopkins Talent Development Programs, magnet high school academies (e.g. college preparation academy, an industrial arts academy, a business academy, etc.) and different teaching strategies targeting specific student groups.
* Expand incentive programs for teachers….and we share your concern that the rate of school construction has not kept pace with the growth of the island’s population.
* Step up construction by cutting red tape, reducing bureaucracy and exercising leadership.
* Expand early childhood development programs….not just because it’s what they’ve asked for but because it is the right thing to do for children.
* Work to ensure line agency support for school, libraries, sports facilities, and after school programs. We agree with you that charter schools can play a vital role in our community.