GWA: Heavy Rains Again Cause “Fractional” Amount of Sewage to Overflow into Tuguan River

198

Guam – The Guam Waterworks Authority has announced that as a result of  last night’s heavy rainfall, the Umatac WWTP lagoon spillway is currently allowing a fraction of lagoon treated waste water to flow from the lagoon into the Toguan River.

GWA Spokesperson Heidi Ballendorf says the amount is between 1% to 7% of the total waste water plant throughput. The other 93% to 99% of the plant flow is receiving full NPDES compliant treatment.

GWA is sampling the overflow water and the Toguan Bay shore line. 

Past incidents of this type have had no negative impact on Toguan Bay water quality and so no such negative effects are anticipated at this time.