The National Weather Service (NWS), Guam Weather Forecast Office has issued a high surf and hazardous seas warning for Guam through Monday night and early Tuesday.
According to NWS, there is a large west swell that will continue to generate dangerous surf along west and north facing reefs through Monday night and hazardous surf through Saturday morning. The following NWS advisories remain in effect:
* A high surf warning is in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, and Saipan until 6 a.m. Tuesday. From 6 a.m Tuesday to 6 a.m. Saturday, a high surf advisory will then be in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, and Saipan. Dangerous surf of 13 to 16 feet along north and west-facing reefs will continue through Monday night and gradually subside. However, surf will remain hazardous through the rest of the coming week.
This will produce localized beach erosion and dangerous swimming conditions for swimmers and beachgoers. NWS advises the community to avoid venturing out along north and west-facing reefs and beaches as huge pounding waves can knock people unconscious and cause them to drown. Rip currents will also be life-threatening.
A small craft advisory remains in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, and Saipan coastal waters until 6 a.m. Wednesday, meaning winds will produce conditions hazardous to operators of small craft. Combined seas of 10 to 14 feet and winds of 15 to 20 knots will continue through at least Monday night and could persist a little longer. Inexperienced mariners, especially those operating smaller vessels, should avoid sailing in these conditions.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) advise residents and visitors to avoid hazardous seas, especially north and west-facing reefs and beaches until hazardous conditions subside. Heed the advice of lifeguards, beach patrol flags, and signs.
Visit the following links for the latest information:
· NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/