Senator James Moylan, who has been leading tours of the derelict multistory parking garage in Tumon frequented by homeless people, says that the property’s new owner plans to put up a hotel in the area.
Moylan says he has already seen the draft ideas for the former Royal Palm Hotel property in Tumon which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1993 and has since been the favorite habitation place of squatters and homeless people.
The area sits on prime oceanside property and the senator said he already saw the draft plans from RIM Architects which is representing the new owner.
Moylan said there is a projection of about possibly 600 jobs available for local residents once the hotel is completed.
In the meantime, Moylan said the new owner can build the structure and have training sessions in place so that when tourists come back to the island, the planned hotel would be ready to accommodate them.
He added that the new owner is just waiting to get the permits approved in order to deal with this long-standing eyesore in Tumon.
Last Thursday, Moylan conducted a follow-up tour of the abandoned parking lot and buildings to show the progress it has gone through since their last visit.
The first tour with the senators conducted last month was to point out certain areas in Tumon where illicit activity was suspected and to show that people are staying in buildings that are not deemed safe.
While still waiting for the approval of GovGuam office to get the demolition process started, Moylan said the new owner has already started cleaning up the area.
“We’re happy to hear that the new owner is willing to work with the government to ensure that the public safety and the homeless situation issues are addressed. They have been cleaning up the property. They’re fencing in the property and the posts have gone up,” Moylan said.
He added that the new owner is also providing security for the property too.
“This is going to be a long process,” Moylan said.
Although government and non-profits such as the Guam Homeless Coalition have reached out to those staying in the abandoned areas, there are still homeless residents still living in the areas.
“We did speak with some folks to explain why we were there. Mayor (Louise) Rivera was there in our previous visit and she was very helpful also and she is also helpful in finding and linking these folks up with a shelter. We also spoke with Lt. Governor Josh Tenorio and he assured us they had made contact with the homeless there to provide assistance,” Moylan said.
He added: “There are places to go, assistance is available, and the priority is to get these folks out because the structure is unsafe.”