The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) received the following report of a disrupted or impassable roadway. Proceed with extreme caution or seek alternate routes when possible, until a complete assessment is done:
- Rt. 2, Nimitz Beach, Agat
The community is reminded to practice caution in the area as emergency responders, representatives from the Mayors Council of Guam and the Guam Police Department assist with traffic control.
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautionary actions:
· Stay away from streams, rivers, drainage ditches, and culverts, even if they are currently dry;
· Do not cross fast flowing water in your vehicle, or on foot. Turn around, don’t drown;
· If driving, be alert for low visibilities and slippery roads in heavy rain;
· Slow down where water is ponding on the road;
· Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away;
· Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning;
· Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) advise residents and visitors to practice extreme caution while traveling in rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.