The 2018 John F. Kennedy Alumni Tournament got underway Saturday at the Tumon school. Hardwood aficionados got a chance to reunite with old teammates and relive their glory days before taking their game back on the court. The inaugural alumni tourney for the Tumon school featured 12 teams with graduates from 1970 up to 2017 in a weeklong competition.
And, it was definitely raining buckets in green-and-gold territory with sharpshooters JP Cruz, Erwin Villa and Lili Baranda holding court in their respective games.
Cruz dropped 19 treys in the 2003-2005 matchup against the 2010-2013 GOLD team, powering through for a 128-44 victory. Villa, who still holds the record for most threes in a high-school game, dropped 10 long-range buckets as the 1985-1990 GOLD team slipped past 2002-2003, 72-67. Baranda, a 2006 grad, drained six treys in the evening game.
• 2003-05 70, 2006-09 GREEN 58: Cruz led all scorers with 29 points, while teammate Jeff Saavedra contributed 12 for the win. Edwardson Panganiban led the 06-09 group with 18 points, while Merwin Martin added 9 in the loss.
• 1970-85 GREEN MACHINE 69, Lady Islanders 55: The Payumo brothers let loose, tag-teaming for 34 of the team’s 69 points. Danny Payumo dropped 21, while older brother Leo added 13 in the win. The Lady Islanders’ Lili Baranda dropped six treys, pouring in 27 of her team’s 55 points.
• 1995-99 53, GREEN 46: Leevin Camacho led the winning team with 15 points, while Mike Cabral added 10 in the win. Islander legend Joseph Taitano paced Green with 20 points.
• 2003-05 128, 2010-13 GOLD 44: Cruz led all scorers with 58 points, while teammates Jesrael Cesar and Shipley Villanueva added 21 and 17, respectively. Jon Sablan finished with 10 points in the loss.
• 2014-17 GREEN 66, 2006-09 57: Kurtis Silva dropped 27 points in the win, while teammate Billy Belger added 24 in the win. Teks Erwin led 06-09 with 18 points in the loss.
• 1985-90 GOLD 73, 2000-02 67: Erwin Villa let it rain, hitting 30 points from beyond the arc for the win. Dave Santos matched the offensive onslaught with 30 of his own in the loss.
• 2010-2013 GREEN 52, 2014-17 GOLD 46: Rey Sablan finished the night with 20 for the 2010-2013 team. Charles Manalac paced 2014-2017 with 17 points in the loss.
Games will continue for the rest of the week. Entrance fee is $1 for all spectators.
“This is our first alumni tournament and we are pleased by the turnout … the response has been very positive,” JFK athletic director and tournament coordinator Jay Antonio said. “Once an Islander, always an Islander!”
Information was provided in a press release.