JIC # 58: Guidelines for Public Welfare Applications; Updated COVD-19 Hotline


The Department of Public Health and Social Services (DPHSS) tested 13 individuals for COVID-19 on Monday, April 6, 2020 with conclusive results. One tested positive through DPHSS and 12 tested negative for SARS-CoV-2. Additional results will be provided later this evening once today’s test results are finalized.

Guidelines for Public Welfare Applications (SNAP, Cash Assistance, Medicaid, MIP, CCDF)
DPHSS Bureau of Economic Security (BES) advises its clients that BES program applications and forms may be downloaded from the department’s website at http://dphss.guam.gov/bes-resources/.

You can also follow these instructions to download forms:

  • On the address bar type www.dphss.guam.gov

  • Click on DIVISIONS drop down and select Public Welfare (DPW)

  • Scroll down and click Bureau of Economic Security or to the right of this page under DPW Resource Links. Click on the BES Resource Page. Either page provides information and forms.

  • Click on the form that you want to download, for example, Application for Public Benefits.

Signed documents may be submitted to drop boxes located outside all three DPHSS sites or emailed to dphss.bms@gmail.com.

Required Documents
(Note: Other documents may be required depending on your household situation.)

  1. Identification: Driver’s License, Guam Identification Card or Passport. Etc.

  2. SSN: Social Security card for each household member or receipt of application for a number.

  3. Residencv/Household Composition: Landlord’s statement, GHURA contract, Statement of Living Arrangement (if living with individuals other than your family, Mayor’s Verification).

  4. Earned Income: Current month’s check stub(s) for the last 30 days, employment verifications and filed gross receipts/1040 Form and/or Statement of Self-Employment Earnings.

  5. Citizenship/Alien Status: Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of  Citizenship, United States Passport, Permanent Residency Card (green/pink card), Permanent Resident Aliens must bring proof of 40 qualifying quarters from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

  6. Unearned Income: Award Letters from SSA, VA or Retirement Income, Court Order or statement from the Absent Parent for child support received, statement by friends or relatives about money you receive.  Interest statement from Trust Funds, C3A Annuity Card, Alimony Records.

  7. Unemployed Status: Letter of termination/resignation and the date and reason for leaving employment, certification layoff or reduction of hours.

  8. Pregnancy: Doctor’s statement of pregnancy and expected date of delivery.

  9. Disability: Medical examination report or other written statement from licensed physician or certified psychologist.

  10. School Enrollment: Verification of enrollment for all school age dependent (Cash Assistance only) or children 16 years of age or over (SNAP only).

  11. Deductible Expenses: Rent or mortgage receipt, lease agreement and/or contract, power, gas/fuel, water. sewer, telephone and trash receipts or bills. Court Order or statement from custodial parent for child support payments made to dependents outside the household. Home insurance policy. Bills or receipts for medical expenses, medical insurance premiums and medical insurance card.

  12. Resources: Current checking account, saving(s) account(s) statement (s), stocks and bonds statement(s), credit union account(s), time certificates, lump sum payments, vehicle registration(s) and bank’s statement  principal balance on the car(s) vehicle appraisal (Not required for SNAP if the Household is an “Expanded Categorically Eligible” case).

  13. Real Property: Real property tax statement for all properties including off-island properties.

  14. Guardianship: Legal guardianship documents or child custody court documents.

Reporting Changes

For households submitting change reports, please provide supporting documents such as proof of loss/termination/reduction of income, birth certificates and SSN or proof of SSN application for newborn or additional household member(s), etc. The Change Report form is also available at http://dphss.guam.gov/bes-resources/

Medicaid and MIP Clients

Households under Medicaid and Medically Indigent Program who are due for renewal in April and May are still required to submit their renewal forms through the drop boxes, USPS mail, or by email. Clients are advised to provide reliable contact information for the DPHSS eligibility staff to contact them for interviews or for additional information.

Call 311 for COVID-19 Related Inquiries

To address COVID-19 related inquiries, the Office of the Governor has launched a COVID-19 hotline. Starting today, residents with inquiries on Public Welfare may also avail of 311 and pick menu item 2.

Local numbers can call 311 and be patched through the following menu:

  1. Medical questions regarding COVID-19 (DPHSS Nurse Triage).

ADA Dedicated Number is (671) 687-6170.

  • Operational daily, from 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.

  1. DPHSS Division of Public Welfare (SNAP, Medicaid, MIP, Cash Assistance, Child Care Development Fund)

    1. Operational Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

  2. Report a business in violation of the Social Isolation Directive (Department of Revenue and Taxation)

  • Operational Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

  1. Report an individual in violation of the Social Isolation Directive (Guam Police Department)

  • Operational 24/7

  1. Business owner with questions on economic relief (Guam Economic Development Authority)

  • Operational Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

  1. Employment and unemployment guidance (Department of Labor)

  • Operational Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

  1. Counseling Crisis Hotline (Guam Behavioral Health and Wellness Center)

  • Operational 24/7

  1. General Inquiries (Joint Information Center)

  • Operational Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

The Joint Information Center (JIC) is currently experiencing technical issues. If you receive a call from (671) 478-0208, please disregard the call. While the JIC works to address this issue, please utilize the other JIC lines available: (671) 478-0209/10.