Joint Region Marianas is lifting some COVID-restrictions for military personnel on Guam.
A memo issued yesterday from JRM Commander John Menoni states that effective immediately, it has terminated its public health order which prohibited active duty members from dining-in at restaurants or going to bars.
Menoni says although Guam and the bases remain under a public health emergency, they’ve been successful in mitigating the threats posed by a spike in positive COVID-19 cases earlier in June, presumably referencing the 35 airmen cluster who were all moved out of the Reef Hotel and isolated on Andersen Air Force Base.
As for seeing more military members dining in and frequenting bars, Guam’s Department of Environmental Health says there’s really no added worry.
Catherine Del Mundo, DEH food safety manager, said: “If the establishments are following the guidelines being provided by our department — the executive order and not just the occupancy, but also following social distancing and wearing a mask — then there shouldn’t be too much of a concern. But again, that’s something that we will address when we observe it during our enforcement.”
JRM’s memo says military members still have to abide by their own command’s restrictions.
Guam Guard Members are still prohibited from dining in or frequenting bars until July 5.