The Kumisión i Fino’ CHamoru yan i Fina’nå’guen i Historia yan i Lina’la’ i Taotao Tåno’ is looking to acquire CHamoru language resources to expand its CHamoru Archive and Resource Library.
The long-term goal of this endeavor is to provide a space for the public to access CHamoru language resources. While existing archival institutions house CHamoru language materials in their collections, none are dedicated to the cause of language revitalization alone.
The CHamoru Archive and Resource Library further distinguishes itself by serving as a self-generating archive, housing the growing number of audiovisual recordings produced by the Kumisión itself.
In time, the Kumisión hopes to expand its collection of other indigenous language revitalization-related materials for comparative study.
The Kumisión is accepting donated items along with lists of recommended resources by community members.
Should resources be available for purchase, vendors and suppliers are encouraged to inform the Kumisión of the costs of the recommended resources.
Items sought include but are not limited to the following:
● CHamoru language teaching resources
● Children’s books written in the CHamoru language
● Prayer and songbooks written in the CHamoru language
● Historical documents written in the CHamoru language
● CHamoru recreational reading materials (games, cards, comics, etc.)
● CHamoru language dictionaries or glossaries
● CHamoru plays and other forms of literature
● Government of Guam and private-produced posters, advertisements, pamphlets/brochures written in the CHamoru language
● CHamoru language memorabilia and other miscellaneous items written or produced in the CHamoru language
Other CHamoru-related materials will be gratefully accepted. This includes resources that may be submitted to the Kumisión in the future for alignment with the updated CHamoru orthography.
Questions or concerns may be directed to Project Coordinator Elyssa Santos via email at Elyssa.Santos@KFCHamoru.guam.gov or phone at 475-0139.