Guam – A mass inspection of the Department of Educations School buses is underway this morning [Wednesday] at the Dededo School bus yard.
From the scene, PNC’s David Macaluso reports that about 14 buses have already cleared the inspection process which started at 8:30 this morning.
The inspections were ordered Tuesday by the Guam Attorney General which told DPW that the law requiring inspections must be followed.
It was back on August 9th that DPW Deputy Director Jesse Garcia issued a memorandum to bus drivers authorizing school buses to be operated until the end of this month, even if they had not yet passed their safety inspections.
The purpose of postponing the inspections was to keep enough buses on the road to prevent delays in the pickup of school children at the start of the new school year and to allow enough time for all the buses to get inspected.
Last week, DPW Director Andy Leon Guerrero said that the buses were deemed safe by DPW mechanics, even though not all had passed their official inspections. But the Attorney General disagreed.