Second Route 15 shooting was an accident

1654
Police are staying quiet on a reported second shooting occurring at a Yigo home.
Loading the player...

Questions mount as statements made by Yigo Mayor Rudy Matanane indicate that the second shooting reported on the back road to Andersen may have been an accident.

Police are staying quiet on a reported second shooting occurring at a Yigo home. Less than 50 feet from the back road to Andersen, this is the same road that Katarina Pitto was shot in a drive-by shooting less than two weeks ago. At the location of the second shooting, all that remains is what appears to be dried blood on a chair outside the home.

Both incidents occurred in the dead of the night, but while Pitto’s case was an act of violence, Yigo Mayor Rudy Mantanane says the second reported shooting may have been accidental.

It was last week that 50-year-old Tim Concepcion reported that he had been shot while he was about to head out for work. PNC spoke to his sister, Liza Cruz.

“The only thing that we know is what the officials have told us which was he was getting ready for work and he was the one that called 911,” Cruz said.

When PNC asked whether Tim was there by himself, Cruz answered: “Yes.”

But there appears to be more to the story as Yigo Mayor Rudy Matanane shared with NewsTalk K57’s Patti Arroyo that he spoke with Concepcion’s family today.

“From the information I got, it was an accidental shooting. I spoke to one of the relatives and they said it was an accidental shooting … it was by accident, Matanane said.

The mayor was not able to provide details of how the shooting occurred or who had the gun. But the revelation points towards the two incidences not being related.

GPD spokesman Sgt. Paul Tapao could not confirm the Mayor’s statements.

“But accident or not, concerns about public safety continue to be raised. PNC spoke with a Yigo resident who lives within walking distance from Concepcion’s home.

Yigo resident Willy Booker said: “This stuff gets scary and I just want to keep my friends and family safe … Safety to everyone, just keep an eye out and take care of yourself.”

Meanwhile, Concepcion’s sister shares that her brother is recovering from the gunshot wound he sustained in his leg.

“He’s fine, he’s fine, he’s in recovery. He had surgery Saturday afternoon and there were no complications that I know of,” Cruz said.

##

Previous articleMan dies in Yigo car crash
Next articleSuspect arrested in Thanksgiving robbery
Jolene Toves
Jolene joined the PNC team in 2017, as a producer, co-anchor and investigative reporter covering law enforcement, courts and crimes. Notable coverage includes the Ehlert case, the Mark Torre Jr. trial, the Allan Agababa trial, exclusive pieces on the Life of a Drug Dealer/Addict, and Life behind bars...the story of Honofre Chargualaf and Kevin Cruz. In 2019, she was promoted to Assistant News Director and Lead Anchor. From 2015 to 2017 she served as Public Relations and Promotions Manager, for the Hotel Nikko Guam handling local radio and advertorial promotions, as well as produced and directed tv commercials for the hotel. Prior to this she worked with KUAM for three years as a reporter and segment host. She began her journalism career in 2012, working with Glimpses of Guam contributing to the Guam Business Magazine, R&R magazine, MDM magazine and the Marianas Business Journal.