More survivors get their war reparation checks

167
Rosa Cruz, a war survivor, said: "I'm so happy. It's about time. We've waited, ya know. I'm so very happy and thankful too."

More war check claimants are getting their checks this week.

It was another great day for our greatest generation as Adelup announced that the Department of Administration has prepared an additional 287 checks for adjudicated war claims this week, bringing the total to 615 checks cut so far through the local program. Currently, $6.47 million has been paid out through the local war claims law.

Loading the player...

Rosa Cruz, a war survivor, said: “I’m so happy. It’s about time. We’ve waited, ya know. I’m so very happy and thankful too.”

Joe Blas, another war survivor, said: “I was just going to say, Hey, hey, hey! It’s about time! I went through all those hardships during the war … I hope my dad and my mom and my brother and sister are here. And I want to thank you very much from the bottom of my heart.”

Concerns about off-island claimants were also addressed. The governor’s press secretary, Krystal Paco, stated that they have been in contact with those off-island war survivors via e-mail and certified mail.

Paco also said more information and instruction could be found online at warclaims.guam.gov.

“Our last day of operation will be on Friday at 4 pm, but that does not mean that our work for war claims is ending. It just means we’ll be handling the future claimants at the Office of the Governor, the Ricardo J. Bordallo Complex, in Adelup. We can help them there from 9 am to 4 pm. That allows us to work with DOA to make sure we get the documents to and from the right places,” Paco said.

The governor’s office said more checks will be issued in the coming weeks as the Treasury Department continues to verify claims submitted through the local program. Recipients can expect to receive phone calls notifying them that their checks have been issued and were mailed.

##