Guam – The Navy’s bomb squad was called into action again Thursday after the discovery of what appears to have been a mortar shell at “Car’s Plus” in Maite.
The shell was found in some fill material that had been delivered to the business.
Owner Joey Crisostomo told PNC News that the dirt fill was brought in for use in the construction of a retaining wall they’re building. A Black Construction back hoe operator discovered the shell about noon Thursday.
Crisostimo says the showroom was cleared, and the neighboring supermarket was also evacuated.
The Navy’s Explosive Ordinance Disposal [eod] unit was called in, determined there was no fuse and that it was safe to move.
Crisistimo says one of the EOD techs “just picked up the shell and put it in the back of his truck.”
Navy spokeswoman Coleen San Nicolas Perez says the projectile was deemed safe, and transported to the Naval Ordnance Annex for proper disposal.