Guam – A pedestrian was killed after being struck by a pickup in Harmon last night. According to police, the man was standing in the road when he was hit.
The accident occurred on Route 16 by the 7-Day Super Market.
Guam Police Spokesman Officer A.J. Balajadia says GPD got the call at 12:06am.
A man driving a 2006 Nissan Frontier pickup was heading north on Route 16 when he hit the pedestrian “who was standing on their lane of travel”, says Balajadia.
The victim was taken to GMH where he was pronounced dead at 12:52am.
His death marks the 8th traffic fatality of the year on Guam. His identity has not yet been released.
2014 Traffic Related Fatalities:
1. Saturday, January 18: A man was pronounced dead at Guam Memorial Hospital after an early this morning auto-pedestrian accident. Guam Fire Spokesman Lt. Ed Artero says medics responded to an Auto-Pedestrian accident with serious injuries at Harmon Loop Road. The 911 call was received at 1:36am. GMH Nursing Supervisory Marie Mafnas told PNC News that the male pedestrian victim was pronounced dead at 2:17am. The man’s identity has not been released.
2. Friday February 14: GMH Nursing Supervisor Bill Toves says the pedestrian victim of a hit and run driver died at GMH at 5:45 this afternoon. He is the second traffic fatality of the year on Guam. His identify has not yet been released. Earlier, Nursing Supervisor Cely Mangrobang said the pedestrian was on life support, in “very critical” condition. The man was hit by a vehicle on Route 1 near Ypaopao Estates in Dededo. GFD Spokesman Lt. Ed Artero says the 911 call came in at 6:08am. He said CPR was conducted on the man at the scene, and en-route to GMH.
3. Saturday, April 5th: 73 year old woman injured in auto accident in Tamuning in front of the old Blockbuster building. She passed away Thursday April 10th at 4:03am
Sunday, April 13th: 911 call received at 1:13pm reporting serious 2 car collision in Yigo on Route 15 near the Yigo Raceway. 4 dead. 1 injured. 1 dead at the scene. 2 taken to GMH, CPR en-route, both later pronounced dead. 1 taken to Naval Hospital, later pronounced dead. 1 person was pronounced dead at the scene.
4. Sunday, April 13th: … 64 year old Damiano Neth of Yigo pronounced dead at GMH at 2:15pm.
5. Sunday, April 13th: … 63 year old wife Markarita Neth pronounced dead at GMH at 2:07pm.
6. Sunday, April 13th: 10 year old grand daughter Mya Ann Neth
7. Sunday, April 13th: … Ruhney Hadley of Mangilao pronounced dead at Naval Hospital, later transported to GMH.
8. Tuesday April 15th: Auto/Pedestrian .. 1 John Doe pedestrian struck and killed by 2006 Nissan Frontier on Route 16 in Harmon. Accident reported to GPD at 12:06 am.
READ the release from Officer Balajadia below:
HARMON – 12:06 am, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, officers with the Guam Highway Patrol responded to a reported Auto/Pedestrian crash, Rt. 16 by NR Sangalang Building (7-Day Super Market).
A 2006, Silver, Nissan Frontier, operated by a male adult for Harmon was traveling north on Rt.16 when the vehicle collided with a male pedestrian (John Doe), possibly Chuukese, whom was standing on their lane of travel.
The pedestrian was transported to GMH where he was pronounced dead at 12:52 a.m. This marks the 8th traffic related fatality of the year and the fifth within a three day span.
Case remains under investigation.