Various healthcare institutions on island have already started to administer the third dose booster shot of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine and not just for the immunocompromised.
This was confirmed by Guam Guard State Surgeon Dr. Mike Cruz during Wednesday’s Recovery Task Force meeting.
Earlier, a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine had already been approved for immunocompromised individuals.
But according to Cruz, the FDA and the CDC approved the Pfizer third dose not just for the immunocompromised and those 65 years and older but also for anybody over the age of 18 who have underlying medical conditions.
However, Cruz said the first priority for the third dose will be the frontline health workers who are the most at risk of contracting COVID-19.
For the general population, the Department of Public Health and Social Services is finalizing the rules and regulations for the third dose booster shot program to avoid a “free for all” situation.
Dr. Nathaniel Berg, the chairman of the governor’s Physicians Advisory Group, said a plan from Public Health on how they’re going to distribute the vaccines in a logical way is necessary to maintain an orderly rollout of the third dose booster shots.