The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office continues to monitor the weak circulation currently centered west-southwest of Guam. It is expected to continue to move northwest and slowly intensify.
What to Expect
As the system moves well west of the Marianas, the monsoon trough will drift further north keeping the Marianas in an unsettled wet pattern through the end of the week. Keep in mind, weather conditions can quickly change in this current weather pattern.
Scattered showers, with brief periods of numerous showers, are expected through the week with the heaviest rainfall possible Thursday and Friday. Rainfall amounts of 3 to 5 inches are possible through Friday.
How to Prepare
Localized flooding will be possible in low-lying and poor drainage areas. Residents and visitors are advised to take precautionary actions now before heavy rains occur:
· Clear drainage areas and un-block clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding.
· Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away
· Be prepared to move immediately to higher ground if there is a chance of flash flooding.
· If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. If the water is moving, do not leave the car.
· Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
· Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to be alert for additional advisories from NWS.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
· NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer Jenna G. Blas at (671) 489-2540 or via email at email@example.com.