On day 3 of the current session, Guam lawmakers advanced to the voting file a bill introduced by Sen. Mary Torres that would provide lease protections for tenants who are victims of family violence.
However, Bill 255, the controversial health insurance choice bill for GovGuam employees, was set aside after a day of debate. It was introduced by Senator Pedo Terlaje and Speaker Tina Muna Barnes.
Senator Jim Moylan’s Bill 71, seeking to increase the size and weight limits for tractor-trailers on Guam’s roads, also failed to advance to the voting file.
Session will resume tomorrow, Thursday, June 4 at 10 a.m.
Debated and Moved to the Voting File:
- Bill No. 214-35 (LS) As substituted and amended on the Floor. – Mary Camacho Torres, Telena Cruz Nelson, Tina Rose Muña Barnes, Régine Biscoe Lee AN ACT TO ADD A NEW ARTICLE 5 TO CHAPTER 48, TITLE 21 OF THE GUAM CODE ANNOTATED, RELATIVE TO PROVIDING LEASE PROTECTIONS FOR TENANTS WHO ARE VICTIMS OF FAMILY
VIOLENCE, CRIMINAL SEXUAL ASSAULT, OR STALKING; AND TO FURTHER CITING THIS ACT AS THE “GUAM SAFE HOUSING ACT OF 2020.”
Items set aside:
1. Bill No. 255-35 (COR) As amended by the Committee on Public Accountability, Human Resources, and the Guam Buildup. – Jose “Pedo” Terlaje, Tina Rose Muña Barnes
AN ACT TO AMEND REPEAL AND REENACT §§ 4301(a) AND §4302(c)(29), BOTH OF ARTICLE 3, CHAPTER 4, TITLE 4, GUAM CODE ANNOTATED, RELATIVE TO ALLOWING CHOICE FOR SUBSCRIBERS THAT PARTICIPATE IN THE GOVERNMENT OF GUAM HEALTH INSURANCE CONTRACT. *Bill set aside – 6.3.20
- Bill No. 71-35 (LS) – James C. Moylan AN ACT TO AMEND §5101, §5105, §5107, §5109, §5112(a)(3), AND §5114, AND TO ADD §5119, ALL TO CHAPTER 5 OF TITLE 16, GUAM CODE ANNOTATED, RELATIVE TO THE SIZE, WEIGHT, AND LOAD LIMITATIONS, AND RESTRICTIONS OF CERTAIN VEHICLES. *Bill set aside – 6.3.20
In the Voting File:
- Bill No. 241-35 (COR) As amended by the Committee on Heritage and the Arts, Parks, Guam Products, Hagåtña- Revitalization, Self-Determination, and Regional Affairs; and further amended on the Floor. – Kelly Marsh, PhD, Jose “Pedo” Terlaje, Tina Rose Muña Barnes, Telena Cruz Nelson, Clynton E. Ridgell. AN ACT TO ADD A NEW § 72110 TO CHAPTER 72, TITLE 10, GUAM CODE ANNOTATED, RELATIVE TO CREATING AND IMPLEMENTING A RIP CURRENT AND HIKING SAFETY AWARENESS PROGRAM AND
- The nomination of Robert C. Taitano to serve as a Member of the Civil Service Commission.
- The nomination of Dana A. Gutierrez to serve as a Judge of the Superior Court of Guam.
- The nomination of UM Dreama Asor to serve as a Member of the Department of Parks & Recreation Commission.
- The nomination of Rolando C. Zepeda to serve as a Member (Visual Arts) of the Guam Council on the Arts & Humanities Agency.