Speaker Tina Rose Muña Barnes, the chairwoman on public accountability, has called for an informational briefing on the government of Guam’s response to COVID-19.
After meeting with Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero Thursday, the Speaker wrote a letter to the Governor listing a wide array of topics which she expects the administration to provide a briefing on at a hearing that she has called for next week on Thursday May 14 at 9 a.m.
The briefing will be broadcast on GTA Channel 21, Docomo Channel 117/60.4, and also streamed on the Legislature’s YouTube channel.
“My goal for this informational briefing is to get a better understanding of what federal programs are available, what have we applied for, what have we received, and most importantly: how will we spend it,” said the Speaker in her release.
“Our People are struggling, and I feel like we can do a better job getting information out” stated the Speaker.
The topics the Speaker said she wants a briefing on are:
Government of Guam Response Plan to combat COVID-19:
- A timeline of the steps taken by GovGuam to respond to COVID-19
- An understanding of the logic, rationale, and steps behind the procurement of quarantine and isolation facilities and costs associated with each and all facilities
- Standard Operating Procedures, staffing, and duties of detailed personnel for Quarantine Facilities and Isolation Facilities
- $117.9M Budget from the funds Allocated to Guam from the CARES ACT
- How were these numbers derived?
- How were requests from Agencies prioritized?
- Status of the Updated Guam Pandemic Plan
Government of Guam Recovery Plan from COVID-19:
- Process behind the creation of the tiered PCOR approach
- $20 M Small Business Relief Program as outlined in the Budget Submitted for CARES ACT fund – Scope of Work and plan of action for GEDA’s Economic Impact Study as outlined
in the Budget Submitted for CARES ACT fund
- Plan of Action for the Government of Guam in response to revenue reductions
In light of over $785,836,000 that has been allocated or awarded to Guam in response to COVID-19 by the Trump Administration, the Speaker also requested a presentation on the following:
Support Received from the Trump Administration in Response to COVID-19
- $10.1M that has been obligated to Guam by FEMA as of April 27th,2020.
- $736,000 in CARES ACT Funding that has been awarded to the Guam Department
- Status on Municipal Liquidity Facility Lending Program to ensure funding for essential services.
- $2.6M in COVID-19 funding through HUD.
- $12M in US DOI Grants
- These require you to apply for grants, and it seems that the Administration has applied for and been awarded the funds.
- Clarification on what these funds will be used for.
- $1.5M in dislocated worker grants to Guam.
- $3 Billion from USDA that can be used to purchase fresh produce, dairy, and meat
- $2.7 M in Federal Transit Administration funds to help Public Transportation on
- The Department of Veteran’s affairs provides services based on requests by states
and territories. Has this request been made?
- $2.9M in funds through the US DOJ for Guam.
“I join our community in seeking clarity on the status of our Government’s finances, and I am confident that the Administration will come to the table and give us answers” concluded
Speaker Muña Barnes.