Tamuning home invasion suspect shot dead by base security after crashing Andersen gate

Andersen Air Force Base (PNC file photo)


The individual who crashed into the security barriers at Andersen Air Force Base Wednesday night has died.

According to AAFB’s public affairs office, at approximately 7:35 p.m., Aug. 14, a suspect charged the front gate of the base while being pursued by the Guam Police Department. The suspect crashed the vehicle while attempting to force its way through the gate, abandoned the vehicle, and then proceeded to flee on foot into the nearby jungle area.

36th Security Forces Squadron initiated base lockdown procedures and began the search for the suspect along with GPD as the suspect attempted to evade patrols in the jungle.

According to AAFB, 36th SFS’s members and GPD located the suspect on base and initiated an arrest but the suspect responded aggressively, attacking the arresting officers and stabbing a Department of Defense civilian security forces member. The suspect was subsequently shot by the officer in self-defense.

“While apprehending a suspect, our defenders were compelled to use lethal force for their own defense, resulting in the death of the suspect,” said Brig. General Gentry Boswell, 36th Wing commander. “We value the importance of every life and are thankful for the courage our Defenders display in the safe conduct of their duties protecting our personnel and families.”

The chase started after Guam Police Department officers responded to a home invasion complaint in Tamuning, according to GPD spokesperson Sgt. Paul Tapao.

“Officers from the Tamuning precinct command responded to Ypao Road relative to a home invasion complaint. During the course of the investigation, officers were able to locate the suspect’s vehicle. A pursuit then ensued where it took officers from Tamuning Proper to the Yigo Proper, onto Andersen property.”

During the breach, the suspect’s vehicle reportedly collided with the security barriers at Andersen Air Force Base — prompting a lockdown of the installation.

Tapao says that the suspect then fled on foot into the jungle where local law enforcement conducted a search outside the fence and members of the 36th Security Forces Squadron searched for the suspect on the base property.

The suspect was later located by base security earlier Thursday morning when the apprehension and struggle happened resulting in the death of the suspect.

According to GPD spokesperson Paul Tapao, the home invasion case has been kept open and forwarded to the department’s Criminal Investigation Division.

After the lifting of the lockdown at around 10 p.m. Wednesday night, normal base operations have resumed, according to Air Force Staff Sergeant Zachary Bumpus.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service and Air Force Office of Special Investigation are working together with Security Forces and Guam Police Department to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and the use of force.