Those who received GovGuam bereavement grant no longer eligible for FEMA funeral aid

733

The governor’s spokesperson Krystal Paco San Agustin, in a statement, said that those who received aid through the local COVID-19 bereavement grant are no longer eligible for the FEMA COVID-19 funeral assistance program.

Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero established the local COVID-19 Bereavement Assistance Fund in October and it provides a one-time grant of $10,000 per decedent.

To date, San Agustin says 124 claims have been approved and paid under the local program, with one claim pending.

She says that compared to the FEMA program, the local program is more generous and does not require proof of funeral expenses.

Earlier this week, FEMA announced that it will be providing financial assistance for funeral expenses for deaths related to COVID-19.

By early April, FEMA will begin providing financial assistance for funeral expenses incurred after Jan. 20, 2020, for deaths related to COVID-19 to help ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the pandemic.

In a statement, Congressman Michael San Nicolas encouraged families on Guam who have suffered loss to avail of this support as it is backdated and available up to after January 20, 2020, of last year, covering up to $9,000 in expenses.

##