There was some good news on the coronavirus front over the weekend. The Department of Public Health and Social Services reported that 7 people who contracted the disease have now recovered.
Meanwhile, one more person was diagnosed with a confirmed case of COVID-19 yesterday.
That raised the total number of confirmed cases recorded by Guam Public Health to 54. Two other Guam residents, who were treated at Naval Hospital, also tested positive.
Their tests were performed at the Naval Health Research Center in San Diego.
What we don’t know is the number of sailors off the USS Theodore Roosevelt who have tested positive. The ship remains docked in Apra Harbor.
The Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero, at her news conference on Monday, acknowledged that remains a concern.
“Many of the added safeguards requested by community organizations are already in place. The Roosevelt’s crew is quarantined to a pier. The military is using its own test kits and working to get us some more. Mission essential personnel can travel to work but their movement is subject to the enforcement of FTIS and others,” the governor said.
Four sailors were medevaced from the Roosevelt to Naval Hospital Guam last week. The Navy today said more sailors aboard the aircraft carrier have now tested positive for COVID-19. However, they have declined to release the number.
Citing sources in Washington, ABC News reported over the weekend that 36 sailors have now tested positive.